Name : Khaled Ibrahim Nabil Ahmed
Birthday & Place : 17 January 1959, Cairo
Nationality : Egyptian
Current Occupation: Professor of Architecture & Building Technology at Faculty of Engineering, Islamic Architecture Dep. Omm Al Qurra University. Makka, SA.
Mailing address : Dr. Khaled Nabil, Department of Islamic Architecture Dep. Omm Al Qurra University. Makka, SA . Po Box 5555
Tel. : 09660565766001, 0020105140518
E. mail : khanabil@Yahoo.com
– B.Sc. of Architectural Engineering, Housing Branch, Faculty of Engineering, Alexandria University 1981.
– M. Sc. of “The Construction of Low-income Housing”, Faculty of Engineering, Zagazig University 1988.
– Ph.D. of Architectural Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Cairo University in collaboration with Pennsylvania State University 1995.The thesis title was “Appropriate Self Build Technology“.
Building technology and construction; with teaching experience in 6 Universities. Taught courses:
– Appropriate Building Technology (Post graduate)
– Building Construction 1, 2, 3 (In UAEU)
– Working Drawings and details
– Architectural Design
– Architectural Skills
– Color & Interior Design
– Architectural Theories
– Graduation project
– Islamic Architecture
– Modern Islamic Architecture
1) Instructor in the Architectural Dep., Faculty of Engineering, University of Alexandria, 1981-1984.
2) Instructor, Dep. of Building Construction, Faculty of Engineering, University of Zagazig, 1985-1987.
3) Lecturer in the Architectural Dep., University of Zagazig from 1988-1994.
4) Associate professor in the Architectural Dep., University of Zagazig 1995-2000.
5) Visiting professor at United Arab Emirates University, Dep. of Architectural Engineering1998.
6) Associate professor in the Architectural Dep., University of Zagazig, Mars 2001 – Mars 2006.
7) Visiting professor at the Higher Institute of Al Asher men Ramadan, Dep. of Architectural Eng., Egypt, 2001.
8) Visiting professor at Suez Canal University, Dep. of Architectural Engineering 2002-2003, 2005-2007.
9) Visiting professor at United Arab Emirates University, Dep. of Architectural Engineering, 2003-2005.
10) Professor of building technology at Department of Architectural Eng., Faculty of Engineering, Zagazig University since 2006.
11) Visiting Professor of building technology at Department of Architecture, Faculty o Fine Arts, Alexandria University, 2007/08.
12) Visiting Professor at Department of Islamic Architecture, Faculty of Engineering, Omm AlQurra University, 2009 till now.
1. “The Impact of Research on the Urban Poor” Proceedings of The 7th Inter-School Conference, Loughborou University of Technology, England (1990).
2. “Appropriate Building Technology“, Seminar of “Towards better building performance, Cairo University (1995).
3. “Charity Housing” the 24th IAHS World Housing Congress, Ankara, Turkey, Vol. 1, PP 360-368, METU, Turkey (May 1996).
4. “Pre-cast Stairs for Self Help Housing” The International Journal for Housing Science, Vol. 20 No.4, PP 255-262, USA (1996).
5. “The Environmental and Urban Role of Mohtaseb in the Islamic City“, with Bendari, Proceedings of scientific conference of Benha Branch, University of Zagazig, (1999). Arabic
6. “The Holly Koran and Building Technology” Journal of the Egyptian Society of Engineers, No. 2, VOL. 38, Cairo (1999).
7. “The Economics and Building Techniques of Minimum Cost Housing”, with Bendari, Proceedings of the 6th Int. Conference in Building and Construction, INTERBUILD, Cairo. (1999). Arabic
9. “Techniques of Finishes for Minimum Cost Housing” Scientific Engineering Journal of Helwan University, Egypt (2000). Arabic
10. “Affordable Housing Through Social Marketing.” Proceedings of The 28th International Housing Congress IAHS, Abu Dhabi, (2000).
11. “The Dilemma of Changes in Housing Facades” (with Desouki & Shanawani), Proceedings of the 7th International Conference in Building and Construction, INTERBUILD, Cairo, (May2000).
12. “Criteria of Coloring Facades”Proceedings of the 8th Int. Conference in Building and Construction, INTERBUILD, Cairo, (May 2001). Arabic
13. “Improvement of Home Design for Distance Learning &Working” Proceedings of the 8th Int. Engineering Conference of Al Azhar University, Cairo, (April 2003). Arabic
14. “Overview of the Saudi Housing Construction”Proceedings of Housing Symposium II, The High Commission for the Development of Arriyadh, Saudi Arabia, (March 2004).
15. “Appropriating Intelligent Buildings”, with Hanafi, Asem,Proceedings of The 32th International Housing Congress IAHS, Trento University, Italy (September 2004).
16. “The Housing Strategy of the Urban Poor”. With Shanawani, Journal of The Egyptian Society of Engineers, Cairo (2004). Arabic
17. “Quality and its Impact on Cost in Mass Housing Projects“,Journal of The Egyptian Society of Engineers, Cairo (2004). Arabic
18. “The Social Impact of Digital Revolution on Urban Housing”, with Nasef, S. Proceedings of the 6th Inte. Engineering Conference of Assuit University, Egypt, March,2005. Arabic
19. “Smart Housing: A Critical Historical Review”, with Hanafi& Ragab, Proceedings of ArchCairo February 2005.
20. “Towards Environment-Friendly Intelligent BuildingsCooling Systems in High-rise Buildings in Hot Arid Regions” With Ragab & Hanafi. International Congress on Environmental Planning and Management, Environmental Challenges of Urbanization, 2005 (Brazil ISBN: 85-905036-2-3).
21. “Robotics’ Potentials for Tall Buildings”, with Ragab & Hanafi, , The 7th International Conference on Multi- Purpose Towers and Tall Buildings, IFHS 2005, Dubai, UAE, December 10-11-2005.
22. “Reuse of Demolished Building’s Debris in Post war Construction“, The 1st Euro-Mediterranean Regional Conference, Barcelona, pp 514-518. (July 2007).
23. “Low Cost Roofs for self Build” Proceedings of The 8th International Architectural Conference of Assuit University, Egypt, March,2010. In Arabic.
Attended Conferences in the last 8 years:
1) The 28th International Housing Congress IAHS, Abu Dhabi, (April 2000).
2) The 8th Int. Conference in Building and Construction, INTERBUILD, Cairo, (May 2001).
3) The 8th Int. Engineering Conference of Al Azhar University, Cairo, (April 2003).
4) Housing Symposium II, The High Commission for the Development of Arriyadh, Saudi Arabia, (March 2004).
5) The 5th Annual UAE University Research Conference. United Arab Emirates (April 2004).
6) The 32th International Housing Congress IAHS, Trento University, Italy (September 2004).
7) The 6th International Engineering Conference of Assuit University, Egypt, (March, 2005).
8) The 1st Euro-Mediterranean Regional Conference, Barcelona, (July 2007).
9) The 8th International Architectural Conference of Assuit University, Egypt, (March, 2010).
1) Master Degree research (Oct. 89 – Sep. 1990) of Appropriate Building Technology, The Institute of Advanced Architectural Studies, University of York, UK.
2) Applied research (Aug. 1991 – May 1992) of Self-Build Technology at the Dep. of Architectural Engineering, Pennsylvania State University, USA.
3) Conducting research (May 1992- Dec. 1992) in the development of small pre-cast building components at the Civil Engineering Deep, Ohio State University, USA.
4) Participating in the “BASIN-AEA” Awareness Seminar of Appropriate Building Technology at Inshas Science City, 12-24 September 1996. (BASIN is a EU Organization).
Language and computer:
High command of Arabic and English; (language certificate from University of York, England). Computer skills of different soft ware related to building construction. Use of online learning in UAEU.
Rewards & Architectural Competitions:
– Design of a multi-purpose residential, commercial & Office building, 12 floors, with underground parking at Ismailia, Egypt 1985.
– Police Officers’ beach club, Ismailia. 1986.
– El Manar Language School, Ismailia. 1997.
– 2 rewards in the design of the squares and land marks of the Eastern Region of Saudi Arabia 2007, (El mesbaha & the waves). with others.
– Winning the planning of lagoon Valley development with another colleague,Prof. Tarek Abo Zekry, in a limited planning competition. It is a mega project of 880 acres on the northern coast, Egypt.
– Winning the general layout has led the owner to assign me the detailed architectural design of the many buildings; 3 hotels, a bedwin village, cabins & yacht marina, the civic center with all its architectural elements; administration, nursery, mosque, shopping center, country club, small zoo, swimming pool.
I have established my private design office, Dar El Fan Elmimary at Isamilia, in 1985. As a consultant engineer in the design of housing projects since 1997, granted by The Egyptian Engineering Society, I have designed and supervised almost 180projects of most functions; residential, offices, educational, recreational, hotels, hospitals and multi-use projects.
This has led The UN to assign me as their consultant to the International Population Conference, held in Cairo in 1994. Such wide and large scale practical experience, in addition to attending building conferences and fairs of building materials in Egypt, England, France, Germany, Italy, USA an UAE has developed my practical experience in building technology and construction.
As from 2005, I have been associated with other colleagues in Alexandria (e.g. Dr. Aly Bayoumy) and in Cairo (Prof. Tarek Abo Zekry) to get larger projects and achieve higher quality.
The following is a short list of projects I have designed myself:
1) Easy build stair component, as a result of my research in Ohio State University, USA. Pre-cast steps integrated into wall.
2) Mortar box for laying mortar bonds between blocks and bricks courses. It simplifies the masonry process and saves up to 40% of mortar, by adjusting thickness and shape of mortar bond.
– The Egyptian Engineering Society since 1981, and a consultant engineer in the design of housing projects since 1997.
– International Association for Housing Science, USA.