Mohamed Assem M. Hanafi
1- Personal Data
Birth Date: April 14, 1965
Occupation: Prof. Dept. of Architecture, Faculty of Engineering,
University of Alexandria.
Address: 58 Sekkina Bint AlHussein St., Mostafa Kamel, Alexandria, EGYPT.
Phone: office: +203 5828530/ Fax: +2035836682 –
mobile: +2012 22421641
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org & email@example.com
2- Education and qualifications:
• Doctor of Philosophy in Architectural conservation and urban development, Institute of Advanced Architectural Studies, University of York, UK. 1989 – 1993.
• Institute of Advanced Architectural Studies, University of York, UK; courses in Conservation Studies. 1989 – 1990
• Institute of Postgraduate Studies and Research, University of Alexandria; Courses in Environmental Studies. 1988 – 1989
• BSc. In Architectural Engineering, Dept. of Architecture, Faculty of Engineering, University of Alexandria. 1983 – 1988.
3- Academic Positions
• 2006- Professor, Dept. of Architecture, Faculty of Engineering, University of Alexandria.
• 2003 – : Associate professor, Dept. of Architecture, Faculty of Engineering, Ajman University of Science and Technology, United Arab Emirates
• 2001 – 2003 : Associate professor, Dept. of architecture, Faculty of Engineering, University of Alexandria.
• 2001-2002 : Adjunct Associate professor, Faculty of Engineering, Arab Academy for Science and Technology Egypt
• 1998-2001 Assistant Professor, Dept. of Architecture, College of Engineering, United Arab Emirates University. (resigned due to personal commitments in Egypt)
• 1995- 1998: Assistant professor, Dept. of architecture, Faculty of Engineering, University of Alexandria.
• Adjunct Assistant professor, Faculty of Engineering, Tanta U., Egypt.
• 1995 – 1996: Adjunct Assistant professor, Faculty of Engineering, Mansoura U., Egypt.
4- Teaching and academic experience:
• Taught graduate and post-graduate courses at a number of universities and academic institutions in Egypt and UAE, namely: building construction, execution
design, architectural design, heritage conservation.
• Supervised and refereed a number master and PhD thesis
• Delivered short courses and training sessions in various architectural and planning themes such heritage conservation/ landscape architecture/building
finishes/rehabilitation and urban planning
5- Applied research Projects and Funded research
Architectural survey of the hanging church, and Babylon fort, Cairo
Role: Team member – Consultant in Architectural Conservation, “Space Consultant”. Funded by: Supreme Council of Antiquities
Architectural survey of Roman archeology ,Pompeii , Italy
Role: Team member – Consultant in Architectural Conservation. Funded by: E.E.C, Med.-Campus In collaboration with: University of York, UK
The Development and Planning of squatter areas, AlAsafra, AlMandara, Sidi-Bishr, Alexandria, Egypt
Role: Team member – Urban Design Unit, Center of community service and environmental upgrading, Faculty of Engineering, University of Alexandria. Funded by: Alexandria Governorate In collaboration with: Alexandria comprehensive planning committee
The development and Rehabilitation of Waqf Radwan Bey, Cairo – Egypt.
Role: Team member – Consultant in Architectural Conservation. Funded by: Dutch Embassy, Cairo In collaboration with: Mallinson Architects, UK
The development and Rehabilitation of Coptic Cairo and Old Cairo – Egypt.
Role: Team member – Consultant in Architectural Conservation. Funded by: Amercian Research Center, Cairo In collaboration with: Mallinson Architects, UK
The Rehabilitation of Palace No.3, Alexandria – Egypt.
Role: Team member. Funded by: British Council In collaboration with: Oxford Brooks University
Three–dimensional architectural survey of urban heritage in the city of ALAIN.9
Role: Team member. Funded by: Supreme council for scientific research, UAE University
Micro–climatic quality assessment of outdoor urban spaces in the city center of ALAIN
Role: Team member. Funded by: Supreme council for scientific research, UAE University
Ragab A, Hanafi M., Ahmed K.N., Ragab A “Towards Environment-Friendly Intelligent Buildings” The Use Of Solar Energy For Air conditioning Using Adsorption Cooling The Case Of Abu Dhabi City High-Rise Buildings, Proceedings International Congress on Environmental Planning and Management September 11 – 15, 2005 – Brasilia, Brazil
Hanafi M., Ahmed K.N., Ragab A., Smart Housing: A Critical Historical Review, Proceedings, ArchCairo 2005, Cairo, February 22-24, 2005.
Hanafi M.,Neo-Traditional Trends In Architecture: The Egyptian Case, Presented at IASTE 2004 Conference,Sharjah/Dubai,December 14-18, 2004.
Hanafi M., Rashed A., Managing Urban Qualities: Planned V Spontaneous, the XXXII IAHS World Congress, Trento, Italy, September 21-25, 2004.
Ahmed K. N., HANAFI M., WASFY H. Appropriating Intelligent Buildings, the XXXII IAHS World Congress, Trento, Italy, September 21-25 2004.
Rashed A., Hanafi M. Cultural heritage and Tourism: Luxor of Egypt? Las Vegas?, The 2nd International Conference on Cultural Heritage, Cordoba, Argentine, May 6-9 2004.
Hanafi, M. Identity In A Cosmopolitan Context: A Comparative Analogy Between Alexandria, Egypt And Dubai, Uae. Sharjah 6th Urban Symposium SUPS6, Sharjah, UAE, 1-3 June 2003.
Hanafi, M., Vernacular Technology: Construction, Function And Aesthetics, A Critical Review Of Spontaneous Architecture In Siwa Oasis, Egypt, the 2nd International Seminar on Vernacular Settlement at the University of Indonesia, 16-17 February 2002.
Hanafi, M. “Demands For Heritage Consumption: A Critical Review In Values And Perceptions” EDRA, The 32nd annual conference of the Environmental Design Research Association, Edinburgh,2001
Hanafi,M., Okeil,A., and Rashed, A. Digital Recording of Cultural Heritage: Case Study Al-Remeilah Castle, Alain, Uae., Alexandria Engineering Journal. January, 2001.
Rashed, A., Okeil, A. and Hanafi,M. “Necessity Of Implementing The Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA) In Sustainable Urban Planning And Development In Arab Gulf Countries, Case Study: United Arab Emirates.” Alexandria Engineering Journal. January, 2001.
Hanafi,M. “Traditions and urban development in Dubai” Alexandria Engineering Journal, November, 2000.
Hanafi, M. “Development, Traditions and Colonialism: the Case of Dubai, UAE “IPHS2000 Conference, Espoo, Helsinki, August 2000
Rashed, A., Okeil, A. and Hanafi,M. “Post Occupancy Evaluation and User perception Towards Student Housing”. EDRA, The 31st annual conference of the Environmental Design Research Association, San Francisco, USA, May 2000.
Hanafi,M., Rashed, A.,and Okeil, A. “Sustainability of Traditional Economic Patterns, An approach to rehabilitation: Case study: Al-Khayamiah, Cairo, Egypt”. EDRA, The 31st annual conference of the Environmental Design Research Association, San Francisco, USA, May 2000.
Okeil, A., Hanafi,M., Rashed, A. “Urban Density and Energy Efficiency in City Planning: Case Study of Al Ain City”, SDR’99, Second International Conference: Sustainability in Desert Regions, 20-22 November 1999, Al-Ain UAEU.
Rashed, A., Okeil, A. and Hanafi,M. “Globalization, Estrangement: The Role Of The Architect In Sustaining Traditional Environment For Next Generations” SDR’99, Second International Conference: Sustainability in Desert Regions, 20-22 November 1999, Al-Ain UAEU.
Haggag. M., Hanafi, M. Residential buildings in Historical districts: the case of Al-Gommrok district , Alexandria, in Arabic, presented at the First Scientific Conference for the Low-income housing in Lebanon, Beirut Arab University, Beirut 19-21 April 1995.
Hanafi, M. The Urban Heritage of Alexandria : The past and the present, proceedings of the international symposium on the conservation of the architectural heritage in Jordan and the Arabic world, Amman, Jordan ( 20-25 November, 1993).
Hanafi, M. Conservation and Development in Architecture and Development in the Islamic World, ed. S. Barakat, PP. 206-220, IoAAS. York, 1993.
Egyptian Society of Architects Egyptian Syndicate of Engineers(Consultant in the field of Architectural Heritage/Housing)
Emirates Engineering Society
Urban design unit – Faculty of Engineering, University of Alexandria
American Society For Engineering Education ASEE
Environmental Design Research Association (EDRA)
Arab Society for Computer Aided Architectural Design ASCAAD
8- Awards & Honors
1) The Technical Cooperation Award, O.D.A., the British Government, 1989- 1991.
2) Farsi Award for architecture, 1996.
3) Several prices in architectural competitions: e.g.
– 1st prize: Jointly wih Dr. A.ElMously & Dr. A.Sarhan; A multifunctional building (commercial – residential) Cairo. – (currently in the process execution)
– – 1st prize: Jointly with Dr. A.ElMously & Dr. A.Sarhan; office building for the National Defence Council. – Cairo – (currently in the process execution)
– Promotional prize (special mention): Jointly with Dr. A.ElMously & Dr. A.Sarhan; a residential resort – Al Haram – Cairo
– Promotional prize (special mention): Jointly with Dr. A.ElMously & Dr. A.Sarhan; a complex of cinemas and audio visual facilities.
– Promotional prize (special mention):The recreational facilities of a luxurious resort in the city of 6th of October.
10- Professional Experience:
Owner and manager in charge of “Mahmoud Hanafi Mahmoud, Architects & Planners” office; for office profile and sample of projects please refer to the office’s resume.