Dr Djamel Boussaa is at present an assistant Professor at the university of Qatar. He worked at both universities of United Arab Emirates and Bahrain as a lecturer. He is originally from Algeria where he worked also as a teacher of architecture and a director of students affair at the department of Architecture, University of Blida.
He is interested in architectural and urban preservation in the Islamic world and has published several papers in this field.
Architectural Design, Urban & Architectural Conservation, Islamic architecture, Traditional Architecture.
- Complete Design and Supervision of an extension project for A great mosque in Algiers.
- Preparation of working drawings for 02 Refurbishment projects In the North of London, Priory Green Estate & Rotherfield Court, (Roof details for lift motor rooms and stair heads as well as rainwater outlets, And gargoyles needed to be specified and detailed.
- Collaborating in a large scale project in Saudi-Arabia, The Mena Complex, in, management and working drawings for walls, parapets and floors.
Courses & Teaching Material:
- Architectural Design Studio 2, ARCH 311.
- Islamic Architecture in the Arab World, Arch 460.
- Senior Project 1, ARCH 400.
- Senior Project 2, ARCH 401.
- Qatari Architecture and Contemporary Practices, ARCH 461.
- Architectural Design 3 (ARCG 310); Designing a Marina Club
- Architectural Design 4 (ARCG 320); Designing a Cultural Center
- Architectural Design 6 (ARCG 420); Designing a Five Stars Hotel
- Architectural Design 6 (ARCG 420); Designing a Specialized Children’s Hospital
- Graduation Project 1 (ARCG 511); Program Stage
- Graduation Project 2 (ARCG 520); Design Stage
- Architectural Construction 2 (ARCG 223)
- Architectural Construction 3 (ARCG 313)
- Architectural Graphics 1 (ARCG 111)
- Architectural Graphics 2 (ARCG 121)
- Basic Design 1 (ARCG 110)
- Basic Design 2 (ARCG 120)
- Materials and Construction Methods I (INTD 222)
- Materials and Construction Methods II (INTD 312)
- History of Islamic Interiors (INTD 311)
- Djamel Boussaa, “Towards an Inter-Emirate Urban Conservation Strategy in the United Arab Emirates”, RICS Foundation, Our Common Sense Journal, London, April 2002.
- Hadjri, K., & Boussaa, D., (2007). Architectural and Urban Conservation in the United Arab Emirates.
- Open House International, 32(3), 16-26.
- G. Moser, E. Pol, Y. Bernard, M. Bonnes, J. Corraliza & V. Giuliani, (editors), People Places and Sustainability, Hogrefe & Huber Publishers, Germany, 2003, PP: 51-60.
Articles of Conferences:
- Paper presented For the Conference on 3-6 January 2010, Technology and Sustainability in the Built Environment; College of Architecture and Planning, King Saud University, Saudi Arabia.
- Urban Conservation and Sustainability; Cases from Historic Cities in the Gulf and North Africa.
- Paper presented at the 1st Engineering Scientific Research Forum; 18th May 2009; University of Bahrain, Department of Civil Engineering & Architecture.
- Paper: Urban conservation in the Gulf: Challenges and Opportunities.
- Paper presented and published in the proceedings 03-06 Nov 2008
- at the CSAAR 08 conference, University of Petra, Amman, Jordan,
- “Responsibilities and Opportunities in Architectural Conservation: Theory,
- Education, and Practice” Paper: THE CASBAH OF ALGIERS, Heritage Tourism,
- Economic Development and Sustainability
- Paper presented For the IFIAD 2008 International Forum on 08-10 Apr 2008
- Islamic Architecture and Design, Sharjah, UAE, Paper: Our Islamic Urban Heritage: Blight or Blessing?
- Paper presented at the Urban Development and Planning Seminar, 07-09 Jan 2008 Kingdom of Bahrain, Northern Area Municipality, Paper: Qala’t al-Bahrain: Conservation and Development of a World Heritage Site
Personal Contact:Department of Architecture and Urban Planning, College of Engineering, Qatar University 2713, Doha, Qatar. Tel (office): 00 974 493 5932, Tel (mobile): 00 974 363 2925, Fax: 00 974 485 1781,